Thursday, August 5, 2010

Sigma review

I'm not a photo equipment expert so instead of writing standard review (which you'll easily find in photo magazines or websites) I'll just write down what I like and don't in Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 lens.

What's good:
  • super wide angle (actually you can't get any wider) and 10-20mm zoom flexibility
  • constant aperture of 3.5 which is really decent light
  • contains HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) thanks to which it works really fast and quietly
  • good autofocus
  • distortion is fairly small
  • didn't spot big vignetting (read about that in some reviews)
  • really well done and not too heavy at the same time

What's not:
  • it could be sharper but it's not too bad. Slight sharpening in Photoshop does the job.
  • lens hood attachment is done really bad so the hood just slips off. I almost lost it twice... thanks to the people who pick it up and gave back to me! :-)
  • filter size is 82mm so it's very expensive (yes, I knew it before buying)

    Basically I really enjoy shooting with new Sigma lens. It's definitely a great choice for those who can't afford or don't want to spend too much money (Nikon or Canon lenses) on a wide angle. Anyway wide angle (especially so wide like Sigma 10-20) is a must have.

    Share

    No comments:

    Post a Comment